10 Ways to Get Ready For Back To School
2. Clean out your fridge and reserve one section for kids lunches and snacks.
3. Create a drop off zone for shoes and backpacks. Whether its hooks on the wall in your entry or a closet, create a barrier free spot.
4. Reserve a place in your kitchen or entry for your kids to empty their graded assignments or notes from school. I like magazine racks that hang on the wall or a simple desktop file holder with a file for each child or person in the family.
5. Prepare for back to school clothes shopping by first pulling out all clothes to see if they fit. Then make a list of items needed and only put clothes back that fit. Donate or hand down the rest.
6. Plan 5 easy meals that your family enjoys and be sure to have the ingredients on hand all the time.
7. Create zones for your kids to do their homework in. Since we are all different, some need absolute quiet with no interruptions and others are more self-starters. Each child can have their own zone.
8. Create a schedule of when homework needs to be done, when the TV is allowed to be on and showers need to be taken. Let you kids know the schedule so it eliminates arguments. Plus you won’t be helping your 6th grader with homework at 11 o’clock at night.
9. A family calendar is a must. They can be purchased at your local office supply store. Keep it in an area where everyone can see.
10. Make a checklist for your kids to read before they walk out the door. For example. Do you have? Homework, Lunch, Water bottle, Gym shoes, mittens, etc.
11. Last but not least, many of us are sad to see the summer end, but be thankful that our kids are free and have the right to receive an education. Enjoy that freedom while you drink a cup of coffee in silence.
Written by, Julie Sprouse Verleger owner of Organized Home Inc an organizing service that helps busy working women organized and beautify their homes, offices and lives.